ZOMBIE 4x4 BOARD Banner

ZOMBIE 4x4 BOARD :: General :: Build Ups :: Conley's 1980 Toyota - View Topic (Page 4 of 6)Page: « 2 3 4 5 6 
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
matt
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (29th Jun 09 at 4:06pm UTC)
Hey Travis last time we were down at the Hammers my toyota had no trouble following you down the trails!

1983 Toyota, tube bed, dual cases with 4.7, linked f/r with 16" fox coilovers, arb dana 44 front, welded 12 bolt rear, 39" Krawlers, 115" wheelbase
bkizzle
Official Zombie Supporter

pm

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (29th Jun 09 at 4:50pm UTC)
Id also like to add your comparing apples to oranges, show me an american 1/3 ton axle than can take what a toyota axle can, I dont think your 10 bolt S10 axle or 8.8 ranger axle would do well, toyota axles are stronger than american 1/2 ton axles, size wise there comparable to dana 30's and 35's and hold up much better :flipoff: I also have less than 2k into my axles front and rear, longfields are cheaper than chromos for a dana 30, its not that expensive to build a toyota axle...Id spend more than that buying a front 60 and building it.... by the time you buy a 800 axle throw in the steering, gear, lock, and throw better shafts in your sitting at 3-4k just in the front.... Your right Dana 60's are stronger well I would hope so they did come in 1 tons....and I still see plenty of people blowing up 60's on the trail too, no axle is completely bomb proof.... Toyota axles are good for what they are not saying there the best in the world but they hold there own and size wise there is nothing stronger, as far as cases go again compare something size wise to it that is stronger.....your gonna blow outputs in a 300 just the same as a toyota case until you upgrade them, I only have 400 bucks in my cases and they work great just toasted a ring and pinion this weekend and the case is still alive my recommendation on that is stay away from duals w/4.7's in the rear unless your gonna drive easy the 5.2:1 of the stacked cases is plenty of gearing, and I will admit with 38.5's I am pushing the limits of this toyota junk but for what it is there doing well put 38's on a dana 30 and a 300 with stock outputs and lets run em line for line :flipoff:

'85 xtracab 116"wheelbase, R10 duals, 5.29's, 38's

T-CARP
Administrator

[Avatar]

Blaaarrrgggg!!

pmwww

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 12:40am UTC)

Id also like to add your comparing apples to oranges, show me an american 1/3 ton axle than can take what a toyota axle can, I dont think your 10 bolt S10 axle or 8.8 ranger axle would do well, toyota axles are stronger than american 1/2 ton axles, size wise there comparable to dana 30's and 35's and hold up much better :flipoff: I also have less than 2k into my axles front and rear, longfields are cheaper than chromos for a dana 30, its not that expensive to build a toyota axle...Id spend more than that buying a front 60 and building it.... by the time you buy a 800 axle throw in the steering, gear, lock, and throw better shafts in your sitting at 3-4k just in the front.... Your right Dana 60's are stronger well I would hope so they did come in 1 tons....and I still see plenty of people blowing up 60's on the trail too, no axle is completely bomb proof.... Toyota axles are good for what they are not saying there the best in the world but they hold there own and size wise there is nothing stronger, as far as cases go again compare something size wise to it that is stronger.....your gonna blow outputs in a 300 just the same as a toyota case until you upgrade them, I only have 400 bucks in my cases and they work great just toasted a ring and pinion this weekend and the case is still alive my recommendation on that is stay away from duals w/4.7's in the rear unless your gonna drive easy the 5.2:1 of the stacked cases is plenty of gearing, and I will admit with 38.5's I am pushing the limits of this toyota junk but for what it is there doing well put 38's on a dana 30 and a 300 with stock outputs and lets run em line for line :flipoff:

Your theroy seems true, except I am talking about a V8 for a motor instaed of chris running a four popper. Nevermind I am tired of wasting my time, I am off to the garage to start swapping in yota axles and cases, anyone want to buy some 60's and an atlas :jerk you:

Do what you gotta do!

R.I.P. Dave Halabuk

TROUT
Vendor
Vendor

[Avatar]

I see U run, I still stab you face!

pmwww

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 1:04am UTC)

[quote}Your theroy seems true, except I am talking about a V8 for a motor instaed of chris running a four popper. Nevermind I am tired of wasting my time, I am off to the garage to start swapping in yota axles and cases, anyone want to buy some 60's and an atlas :jerk you:[/quote]

Im with you! im throwing my big block and th400 atlas in the trash! stupid one tons!

"dude you cant fuck her in the shop there is to many cameras"...."why not? shes hot and i've got a big dick, whats the problem?" Dave Halabuk RIP
chrisconley
Hardcore

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 1:06am UTC)
SO.... heres some work that got done this weekend.

yesterday = nothing, i didnt do shit i was hungover from the helen keller party. and it was fucking hot.

today = i took the motor off of the engine stand and wheeled the thing on an engine lift over to the front of the truck to begin measurments on how im gonna mount the fucker and im pretty much gonna have to chop the front of my frame off and go a bit wider. but it also got really fucking hot again today so i came inside and watched a movie, im gonna go back out to the garage after i eat something, ill let you know if do anything really productive.

my initial thoughts for a new front frame are conflicting around rectantgular tubing and round tubing. the thing is i think the round tubing would be stronger because i can bend it where as i have to cut the rectangular stuff....

let the new debate of rectangular vs. round tubing begin. hopefully travis will have more people on his side this time on whichever one he chooses.

B.ecause U. D.eserve W.hat E.very I.ndividual S.hould E.njoy R.egularly
yeagley
Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 2:04am UTC)
Sorry for taking over your build Chris. Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics, in the end your still a fucking retard. I never said get rid of your 1 tons.....They are way better than Toyota axles. V-8s are way cooler than 144 c.i. toyota motors. My gay little truck gets me to the trail and to work while getting 17mpg. Thats pussy shit there. Maybe someday I will have someone else build me a buggy because I cant build anything that doesnt fall apart on the trail.

Any luck on fixing the motor Chris??
TROUT
Vendor
Vendor

[Avatar]

I see U run, I still stab you face!

pmwww

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 3:01am UTC)
it would depend on what size tube you used. a bent tube is weaker then a mitred joint. with the v8 in there i would choose 2x3 .188 wall box. put scab plates around the seams.

"dude you cant fuck her in the shop there is to many cameras"...."why not? shes hot and i've got a big dick, whats the problem?" Dave Halabuk RIP
chrisconley
Hardcore

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 3:17am UTC)
still looking for a local engine/machine shop. the one i talked to first only did american stuff.

im really considering getting a set of these

http://www.lextreme.com/pistons-rods.html

but at 2k ill have to wait, theres for sure lots of other stuff to do in the mean time. like the whole front end thing.

ya, ive been leaning towards the rectangle stuff too. mainly because i dont have a bender and im pretty good at straight line geometry, all the euclid stuff fucks me up.

bkizzle

pm

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 4:27am UTC)
Chris Trav is right, you might as well ditch the toyota v8 too and go buy some ford stuff because it never breaks down...them little japs cant build shit....Chris how hard are you planning to drive this thing? trail rig to pretty much wheel anything on the trail being a little hard on it once in a while or are you gonna hammer down 99% of the time you drive it? Run what you can afford and what tailors your driving style, I like the build I like saying MY JUNK is all toyota but thats me, nothing against any other manufacturer in fact Im a chevy guy but I just happen to like my toy wheeler too so....I had a guy ask me at Fordyce this weekend if my rig was all Yota I proudly replied yes right before pinning it over some rocks, but hey like I said thats me....

bkizzle

pm

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 4:32am UTC)
as far as tube goes box tube with plates at the joints will be stronger than the original frame by a long shot so you'll be good there.... I have back halfed truck frames for air ride trucks with cut box tube frames and hopped them feet into the air without any issues

bkizzle

pm

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 4:45am UTC)
Posted By yeagley on 29th Jun 09 at 7:04pm

Sorry for taking over your build Chris. Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics, in the end your still a fucking retard. I never said get rid of your 1 tons.....They are way better than Toyota axles. V-8s are way cooler than 144 c.i. toyota motors. My gay little truck gets me to the trail and to work while getting 17mpg. Thats pussy shit there. Maybe someday I will have someone else build me a buggy because I cant build anything that doesnt fall apart on the trail.

Any luck on fixing the motor Chris??

must be that soy sauce you put in your axles Cole Smiley

chrisconley
Hardcore

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 5:51am UTC)
i drive pretty easy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSho-lSiibE

bkizzle

pm

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 3:53pm UTC)
oh I remember that!! but I doubt you'll ever do anything like that again... Im just wondering what you were planning on with the trail rig, whether you run 60's or yota axles you do something like that your breaking knuckles and running leaf springs theres less to soak all that up...... If your gonna hammer down all the time run 40+ tires than even a stock or mildly built 60 is gonna break every weekend you drive it, your gonna have to dump enough coin in a 60 that it will make those connecting rods you posted look cheap! and if your planning on doing stuff like that and hammering down just ditch the toyota all together because you'd just be throwing money in the fire, if you wanna good dependable trail rig then continue with your build with what you got already but you wont be able to drive like that with it...and if your already worried about money with swapping gears and stuff in your yota axles than you cant afford to build a rig to take that kinda stuff period, unless you plan on finishing it years from now, I like the toyota stuff I think it will make a nice rig and despite what the yota haters say I think it will hold up well on the trail even under some hard driving.

kranker
Zombie Member

fuckd up 4 life

pm

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 4:39pm UTC)
enough with all this bs. just build what you got and get on the trail. you can change to the big boy stuff when you are ready. i think i might have some toyota stuff left over from the buggy that you can have when i clean out the garage in two weeks. i will hit you up when (if i still have it) i find it. just get on the trail and come party :booze: Smiley

Rigless but I do have a 63 caddy now!
Trying to find a rig asap is in the works

tellico post #208
matt
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota (30th Jun 09 at 9:12pm UTC)
Yep run what you got and hurry up and build your truck! After a few trips and a few more :kranker: you will know what you need to upgrade!

1983 Toyota, tube bed, dual cases with 4.7, linked f/r with 16" fox coilovers, arb dana 44 front, welded 12 bolt rear, 39" Krawlers, 115" wheelbase
 Printable View
Page: « 2 3 4 5 6