ZOMBIE 4x4 BOARD > General :: Build Ups :: > Conley's 1980 Toyota

Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 8th Jun 09 at 10:13pm
Drive Train
4.7L I-Force Swap
A343 4-speed Auto
4.7 Gear driven transfer case

Front Suspension
Chromo Longfields 30 Spline Installed
Lockrite Front Locker Installed
4.34 Gears Installed
Vented Disc Brakes Installed
High Steer Installed
IFS Steering box Installed
Axle Gussets Installed
Spring Hanger Installed
TG 3" Springs Installed
Shock Tower
Bilstein Long Travel Shocks
12" Long Travel Driveline

Rear Suspension
Welded Spider gears
Solid Axle disc brake conversion
Axle Gussets
63" Springs Installed
Boxed Rear Frame Installed
Bilstein Long Travel Shocks

Interior
AutoMeter Phantom Gauges
Custom switch panel
Transmission tunnel
Bucket Seats

Body
Bob Job complete
Dove Tail Front and Rear
Half Doors

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 8th Jun 09 at 10:16pm
Last night I patched up the hole in the 4.7L's oil pan with some metal screen and JB weld. The hole was about the size of a quarter.

Today I put some oil in and the patch held. I filled the motor up and gave her a turn over. Heard some LOUD clunks, while cranking. but it started up and idled smoothly so I shut it off and then saw a bunch of smoke and noticed oil dripping into the bucket.....

now the hole is about the size of my fist....

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By HOGAN (hogan) on 8th Jun 09 at 10:25pm
OUCH!

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By yeagley (yeagley) on 9th Jun 09 at 6:52pm
Damn, I hope you didnt pay much for the tundra

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By yeagley (yeagley) on 9th Jun 09 at 6:56pm
You dont need a 12" slip for your rear driveline. The stock will work fine. The front needs it because the diff is offset and uses alot more slip(by the way, you can build 3 square shafts for the price of a crappy 10" Trail Gear slip).

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 9th Jun 09 at 9:32pm
i picked the tundra up for 1500.

this friday i have off. im gonna pull the motor and get it on an engine stand and see whats up.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 12th Jun 09 at 8:26pm
pulled the motor and did some hacksawing on the tundra today.

number 8 cylinder has a broken connecting rod and it looks like the cylinder has some scoring.

can anybody suggest a good engine builder?

upside down V8!!!!!!!

broken connecting rod

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bigbadjeepster (bigbadjeepster) on 13th Jun 09 at 1:12am
it will probably be cheeper to find another engine then to rebuild. Someone was having some fun before they rolled the truck. {Shocked}

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By HOGAN (hogan) on 13th Jun 09 at 8:34am
aww man!!

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 13th Jun 09 at 11:08am

it will probably be cheeper to find another engine then to rebuild. Someone was having some fun before they rolled the truck. {Shocked}

X2.....

thats sucks man

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 22nd Jun 09 at 9:41pm
finally got the tundra out of the driveway and did some clean up around the yard. (gotta look decent for the HK party)

no more tundra = back to work on the build.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 22nd Jun 09 at 9:51pm
Still rockn Gregs old truck... nice! how many miles does it have on it now? shitty what happened to him Ive been meaning to go see him.....

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By HOGAN (hogan) on 23rd Jun 09 at 3:06pm
wow, nice job!

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 23rd Jun 09 at 9:44pm
not sure how many miles are on it the speed odometer stopped working at 150k in 2003.

greg's doing good, man. i went and stayed at the hospital in SB, for a few days. it was a hard thing to happen but the dude is tough and stubborn. last i heard is he put some hand controls on a rhino, and has some on order for the vette.

the stock position of the motor mounts for the tundra are 6 inches WIDER than my front frame rails... so i've gotta figure out some way to mount this fucker. also i hear that dual cases with the auto are a mother fucker to stop and you have to just about shift it into neutral so i might just use one 4.7 case. but either way i have a ton of work ahead of me. estimated time till i hit the trails.... memorial day 2015

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 24th Jun 09 at 12:24am
I had a buddy that had hand controls on his vette makes it really easy to do brake stands.......I can see greg now.....lol

Even with 4.7's it will act the same as dual cases with the brakes the crawl ratio of yota duals with stock gears in both is 5.2:1 not all that far off 4.7:1 plus with duals you have 2.28:1 when you wanna go faster :thumbsup: only using one case in low will you wont have the brake issue as bad anyway then you can throw your reduction box in as needed with 4.7's youll have the thing powering thru your brakes the whole trip... for the motor you could build a whole new front frame section just cut the frame a few inches forward of the firewall tube in around the motor and just hang your fenders on the tube :kranker: raising the motor to clear the frame puts your center of gravity higher and you'll roll easier keep the motor low expecially since your adding a ton of weight over the 4 banger

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By T-CARP (admin) on 24th Jun 09 at 11:06am
I would also maybe suggest just junking the toyota t cases altogether. I would think that T-cases origanially designed to be used with a 70hp four cylinder wouldn't hold up well to a 300hp V-8. I would think wou would be snapping outputs and even inputs like toothpicks. Look into maybe a built 300 or a good used atlas too. I think babydick had a similar trans with the atlas on his buggy when he had the Lexus v8 in it

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By T-CARP (admin) on 24th Jun 09 at 11:18am
oh ok, I have no clue, i was just thinkin what thinngs are designed for. And I assume in 1980 they designed that case to be used with the motor it was with. I will bow down to the all mighty toyota case at once! In fact i should sell my atlas and UPGRADE to a yota case. {Rolleyes}

carry on with yota talk i will not interupt with my logic anymore {Cheesy}

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By kranker (kranker) on 24th Jun 09 at 11:48am
trav's right. you will be spending more time in the garage working on your tcase than wheeling. save a couple extra buck and get a 300 or a atlas. i was the toyota guy for awhile but know i have seen the light. {Grin}

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By sarge (sarge) on 24th Jun 09 at 12:01pm

trav's right. you will be spending more time in the garage working on your tcase than wheeling. save a couple extra buck and get a 300 or a atlas. i was the toyota guy for awhile but know i have seen the light. {Grin}
IS THIS TALK FROM A 231 GUY{Confused} ?

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By kranker (kranker) on 24th Jun 09 at 12:34pm

a stock 231. now its built :flipoff: and anyways i had to replace three outputs in my toyota and tow of them where the badass cryod ones. {Grin} that was all done with a 4banger :fake:

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 24th Jun 09 at 12:37pm
hey sarge how does that toyota case hold up behind your 350{Confused} ? good I bet!!! and the 5.0 gear sets are weaker than 4.7's and I bet he has yet to snap em'... I see a lot of v8's with chevy autos or manuals adapted back to yota cases, 300's need everything replaced to be worth a shit at least toyota cases are somewhat strong out of the box!!!! and I guaruntee a chromo gear set and chromo outputs on a yota case would hold up better than a built 300.... bobby long has yet to have a chromo output returned and now marlin builds a stronger one than that 32spline 30mm output! and I dont swear by toyota shit but they do build some strong ass shit.....

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 24th Jun 09 at 12:44pm

a stock 231. now its built :flipoff: and anyways i had to replace three outputs in my toyota and tow of them where the badass cryod ones. {Grin} that was all done with a 4banger :fake:

what gears and tires{Confused} and whos outputs{Confused} ?

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 24th Jun 09 at 12:47pm

oh ok, I have no clue, i was just thinkin what thinngs are designed for. And I assume in 1980 they designed that case to be used with the motor it was with. I will bow down to the all mighty toyota case at once! In fact i should sell my atlas and UPGRADE to a yota case. {Rolleyes}

hey Im not saying a yota case is better than a atlas by any means but bang for buck Id say toyota case!!!! my post above even stated if your throttle happy you may wanna get a stak or atlas but not everyone has 2500 to spend on a case

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By kranker (kranker) on 24th Jun 09 at 2:14pm

what gears and tires{Confused} and whos outputs{Confused} ?

2.28in front case and 4.7in rear case 5.38s in the axles 42s and i beleave they were boby longs not 100%sure. :flipoff:

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By kranker (kranker) on 24th Jun 09 at 2:19pm

hey Im not saying a yota case is better than a atlas by any means but bang for buck Id say toyota case!!!! my post above even stated if your throttle happy you may wanna get a stak or atlas but not everyone has 2500 to spend on a case

you can get a used dana 300 with a 4:1 kit and twin stick for about 1000.00 and a used atlas is about 1500.00 to 2000.00. a dana 300 would be you best bet because you could build it over time with stak parts. when the 300 breaks {Grin}

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By T-CARP (admin) on 24th Jun 09 at 3:03pm
Let the toyota brainwashing continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm out! {Tongue Out}

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 24th Jun 09 at 3:12pm

you can get a used dana 300 with a 4:1 kit and twin stick for about 1000.00 and a used atlas is about 1500.00 to 2000.00. a dana 300 would be you best bet because you could build it over time with stak parts. when the 300 breaks {Grin}

I'll stick with the 400 bucks I have in my toyota cases for now :flipoff: until I go with bigger axles and tires......

I think chris wanted to stay toyota too! a 4.7 iforce motor will take way more fab work and time than a 302 or 350 (both fit in the stock rails) 302 fits the best its only like 19 inches or so wide at the mounts and a 350 2 more inches wide, but a 4.7 with all toyota drivetrain is a good plan IMO some guys perfer certain companys to each there own I like were Conley is headed with the build....

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 24th Jun 09 at 5:59pm
travis i respect your opinion don't leave this thread. but im going to be spending a bunch of time and money getting this motor to work i think i'll keep my toyota cases now because there already here. maybe next time i take the truck apart ill think about an atlas... but more importantly whats so great about an atlas anyways{Confused}

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By sarge (sarge) on 24th Jun 09 at 7:54pm

hey sarge how does that toyota case hold up behind your 350{Confused} ? good I bet!!! and the 5.0 gear sets are weaker than 4.7's and I bet he has yet to snap em'... I see a lot of v8's with chevy autos or manuals adapted back to yota cases, 300's need everything replaced to be worth a shit at least toyota cases are somewhat strong out of the box!!!! and I guaruntee a chromo gear set and chromo outputs on a yota case would hold up better than a built 300.... bobby long has yet to have a chromo output returned and now marlin builds a stronger one than that 32spline 30mm output! and I dont swear by toyota shit but they do build some strong ass shit.....
I've been beating the holy shit out of the toy cases for 4 years and yet to even hear a noise or issue yet but a front dig would be nice if I had room for the rear disconect, I honestly think the 304 would have done something to it being cammed to death but--------NOT!!!

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By mikeb (mikeb) on 24th Jun 09 at 8:04pm
No dig, and I was spitting out teeth on my last marlin from behind a carbed 22r. No thanks.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By sarge (sarge) on 24th Jun 09 at 8:08pm

No dig, and I was spitting out teeth on my last marlin from behind a carbed 22r. No thanks.
Maybee yor foot had something to do with it OR-- inchworm fked up and buit me a good one{Confused} ?{Confused}

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By mikeb (mikeb) on 24th Jun 09 at 8:13pm
Well it was like a Marlin #130 or so. What effect can a right foot have when the motor is only cranking out 80 horses at the flywheel.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By T-CARP (admin) on 24th Jun 09 at 8:25pm
Its all how ya drive, I had a dana 20 in the old buggy with a 5.0 and a T-18 manual, and drove it hard, did backdoor and about 100 laps in the box. But I have seen kranker snap those rear yota outputs like twigs with his four banger. And some of you may or may not know this but I had a 81 toyota pickup for a while. Its just hard to justify your arduments for it when I have put 4.7's in it and 4.0's in a 300, and seen with my own eyes and held in my own hands the components of each case. I wasn't doggin the yota stuff, I was just interjecting some logic on it. That the yota cases were orginally designed by a little japanesse engineer to go behind a 4cyl truck motor making barely 80hp, and perhaps a diff T case may be a good preventitive step, you could sell the yota cases to fund a 300 and put just a 32 spline rear in and twin stick it and it would be awesome. A dana 300 origanaly came behind inline sixes and 304 v8's and maybe in some J30's that had 401's. Hence my wacky logic I was talking about........

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By mikeb (mikeb) on 24th Jun 09 at 8:37pm
Agreed. Funny thing is when I upgraded I bought a 300 and 32splined the rear and twinsticked it. {Grin} I also agree with Gary though a 4cyl. case can live well behind a v8 if driven properly. He drives like and old lady, thats why his has held up so long.

Oh and the hammer down Baggy you guys know actually knew how to drive at one point. How to pick a line and crawl something. What fun is that though.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 24th Jun 09 at 10:23pm
does the 300 dig?

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 24th Jun 09 at 10:29pm

does the 300 dig?

If you twin stick it

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By matt (matt) on 25th Jun 09 at 8:23am

Yeah that whole jeep thing has definitely worked out better for you!

I'm a diehard toyota guy but I agree with Travis and a few others ditch the toyota cases and build a d300. I've been running my dual cases for almost 8 years with no problems but I also still have a stock four banger with 200k miles on it! Toyota cases are badass behind a small motor not a 300hp V8!

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By yeagley (yeagley) on 25th Jun 09 at 4:54pm
Chris, you know Im a toyota guy till the day I die, But a toyota front axle cant take a front dig with a V-8. You should sell it all, get a jeep, put a ford motor and tranny in it(cause they never break) and buy a $2000 t- case. Dont forget the $4000 worth of axles you also need. :flipoff:

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By TROUT (fishmouthfabworks) on 25th Jun 09 at 5:08pm
put that motor in the back of that truck bed with the rest of it.get a 22re with duals and run the thing.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 25th Jun 09 at 5:26pm

put that motor in the back of that truck bed with the rest of it.get a 22re with duals and run the thing.

X2 I think this is the cheapest most effective setup for that truck, when a 22re runs right there not bad at all, and you can buy a used motor tranny and case for less than fixing that motor! then a dual adapter and run it

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By yeagley (yeagley) on 25th Jun 09 at 5:30pm
Wasnt that the plan like a year ago? Thats A LOT of waisted time, effort and money...........welcome to the sport of 4 wheeling my friend :thumbsup:

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bigbadjeepster (bigbadjeepster) on 25th Jun 09 at 6:23pm
Run the V8! Its your project after all, run what you got. Its OK to be different. Shit, look at my setup, I dumped almost $6k into my engine when I could have just bought an LS motor for half that.
As far as the t-case goes, take everyones suggestions and put something a litte stronger in there. The most bang for your buck would be a stack. If you cant fit it beween your frame then find an atlas. Remember, there is nothing wrong with buying a used one.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By T-CARP (admin) on 26th Jun 09 at 9:19pm
Posted By yeagley on 25th Jun 09 at 4:54pm

Chris, you know Im a toyota guy till the day I die, But a toyota front axle cant take a front dig with a V-8. You should sell it all, get a jeep, put a ford motor and tranny in it(cause they never break) and buy a $2000 t- case. Dont forget the $4000 worth of axles you also need. :flipoff:

Yeah I agree with you, probably not the best on yota axles to dig, and I really don't care if you wheel a covered wagon you have to put alot of coin into the axles. Stock yota axles ain't gonna cut it, you will need longfields, arb, gears, high steer. And unless something has changed they don't exactly give that stuff away anymore. Unless you are going to try and convice me that stock birfs are stronger than anyother axle in the world cause toyota mixed some secret soy sauce in with the metal to make super alloy birfs stock. {Rolleyes} Anytime you girls with the yotas want to man up and come on down to the hammers and go on a little tour let me know :fake:

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By mikeb (mikeb) on 26th Jun 09 at 10:17pm

Posted By yeagley on 25th Jun 09 at 4:54pm

Yeah I agree with you, probably not the best on yota axles to dig, and I really don't care if you wheel a covered wagon you have to put alot of coin into the axles. Stock yota axles ain't gonna cut it, you will need longfields, arb, gears, high steer. And unless something has changed they don't exactly give that stuff away anymore. Unless you are going to try and convice me that stock birfs are stronger than anyother axle in the world cause toyota mixed some secret soy sauce in with the metal to make super alloy birfs stock. {Rolleyes} Anytime you girls with the yotas want to man up and come on down to the hammers and go on a little tour let me know :fake:

Right on. Its funny to me cuz I have tested the limits of asian tecnology and moved on {Grin} I agree with Travis, try to follow me and see how long your toyota holds up Smiley

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 27th Jun 09 at 7:07am
i have longfields, gears, high steer but no arb, only a lockrite. and i upgraded from soy sauce to sake!!! BANZAIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By matt (matt) on 29th Jun 09 at 9:06am
Hey Travis last time we were down at the Hammers my toyota had no trouble following you down the trails!

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 29th Jun 09 at 9:50am
Id also like to add your comparing apples to oranges, show me an american 1/3 ton axle than can take what a toyota axle can, I dont think your 10 bolt S10 axle or 8.8 ranger axle would do well, toyota axles are stronger than american 1/2 ton axles, size wise there comparable to dana 30's and 35's and hold up much better :flipoff: I also have less than 2k into my axles front and rear, longfields are cheaper than chromos for a dana 30, its not that expensive to build a toyota axle...Id spend more than that buying a front 60 and building it.... by the time you buy a 800 axle throw in the steering, gear, lock, and throw better shafts in your sitting at 3-4k just in the front.... Your right Dana 60's are stronger well I would hope so they did come in 1 tons....and I still see plenty of people blowing up 60's on the trail too, no axle is completely bomb proof.... Toyota axles are good for what they are not saying there the best in the world but they hold there own and size wise there is nothing stronger, as far as cases go again compare something size wise to it that is stronger.....your gonna blow outputs in a 300 just the same as a toyota case until you upgrade them, I only have 400 bucks in my cases and they work great just toasted a ring and pinion this weekend and the case is still alive my recommendation on that is stay away from duals w/4.7's in the rear unless your gonna drive easy the 5.2:1 of the stacked cases is plenty of gearing, and I will admit with 38.5's I am pushing the limits of this toyota junk but for what it is there doing well put 38's on a dana 30 and a 300 with stock outputs and lets run em line for line :flipoff:

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By T-CARP (admin) on 29th Jun 09 at 5:40pm

Id also like to add your comparing apples to oranges, show me an american 1/3 ton axle than can take what a toyota axle can, I dont think your 10 bolt S10 axle or 8.8 ranger axle would do well, toyota axles are stronger than american 1/2 ton axles, size wise there comparable to dana 30's and 35's and hold up much better :flipoff: I also have less than 2k into my axles front and rear, longfields are cheaper than chromos for a dana 30, its not that expensive to build a toyota axle...Id spend more than that buying a front 60 and building it.... by the time you buy a 800 axle throw in the steering, gear, lock, and throw better shafts in your sitting at 3-4k just in the front.... Your right Dana 60's are stronger well I would hope so they did come in 1 tons....and I still see plenty of people blowing up 60's on the trail too, no axle is completely bomb proof.... Toyota axles are good for what they are not saying there the best in the world but they hold there own and size wise there is nothing stronger, as far as cases go again compare something size wise to it that is stronger.....your gonna blow outputs in a 300 just the same as a toyota case until you upgrade them, I only have 400 bucks in my cases and they work great just toasted a ring and pinion this weekend and the case is still alive my recommendation on that is stay away from duals w/4.7's in the rear unless your gonna drive easy the 5.2:1 of the stacked cases is plenty of gearing, and I will admit with 38.5's I am pushing the limits of this toyota junk but for what it is there doing well put 38's on a dana 30 and a 300 with stock outputs and lets run em line for line :flipoff:

Your theroy seems true, except I am talking about a V8 for a motor instaed of chris running a four popper. Nevermind I am tired of wasting my time, I am off to the garage to start swapping in yota axles and cases, anyone want to buy some 60's and an atlas :jerk you:

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By TROUT (fishmouthfabworks) on 29th Jun 09 at 6:04pm

[quote}Your theroy seems true, except I am talking about a V8 for a motor instaed of chris running a four popper. Nevermind I am tired of wasting my time, I am off to the garage to start swapping in yota axles and cases, anyone want to buy some 60's and an atlas :jerk you:[/quote]

Im with you! im throwing my big block and th400 atlas in the trash! stupid one tons!

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 29th Jun 09 at 6:06pm
SO.... heres some work that got done this weekend.

yesterday = nothing, i didnt do shit i was hungover from the helen keller party. and it was fucking hot.

today = i took the motor off of the engine stand and wheeled the thing on an engine lift over to the front of the truck to begin measurments on how im gonna mount the fucker and im pretty much gonna have to chop the front of my frame off and go a bit wider. but it also got really fucking hot again today so i came inside and watched a movie, im gonna go back out to the garage after i eat something, ill let you know if do anything really productive.

my initial thoughts for a new front frame are conflicting around rectantgular tubing and round tubing. the thing is i think the round tubing would be stronger because i can bend it where as i have to cut the rectangular stuff....

let the new debate of rectangular vs. round tubing begin. hopefully travis will have more people on his side this time on whichever one he chooses.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By yeagley (yeagley) on 29th Jun 09 at 7:04pm
Sorry for taking over your build Chris. Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics, in the end your still a fucking retard. I never said get rid of your 1 tons.....They are way better than Toyota axles. V-8s are way cooler than 144 c.i. toyota motors. My gay little truck gets me to the trail and to work while getting 17mpg. Thats pussy shit there. Maybe someday I will have someone else build me a buggy because I cant build anything that doesnt fall apart on the trail.

Any luck on fixing the motor Chris??

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By TROUT (fishmouthfabworks) on 29th Jun 09 at 8:01pm
it would depend on what size tube you used. a bent tube is weaker then a mitred joint. with the v8 in there i would choose 2x3 .188 wall box. put scab plates around the seams.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 29th Jun 09 at 8:17pm
still looking for a local engine/machine shop. the one i talked to first only did american stuff.

im really considering getting a set of these

http://www.lextreme.com/pistons-rods.html

but at 2k ill have to wait, theres for sure lots of other stuff to do in the mean time. like the whole front end thing.

ya, ive been leaning towards the rectangle stuff too. mainly because i dont have a bender and im pretty good at straight line geometry, all the euclid stuff fucks me up.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 29th Jun 09 at 9:27pm
Chris Trav is right, you might as well ditch the toyota v8 too and go buy some ford stuff because it never breaks down...them little japs cant build shit....Chris how hard are you planning to drive this thing? trail rig to pretty much wheel anything on the trail being a little hard on it once in a while or are you gonna hammer down 99% of the time you drive it? Run what you can afford and what tailors your driving style, I like the build I like saying MY JUNK is all toyota but thats me, nothing against any other manufacturer in fact Im a chevy guy but I just happen to like my toy wheeler too so....I had a guy ask me at Fordyce this weekend if my rig was all Yota I proudly replied yes right before pinning it over some rocks, but hey like I said thats me....

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 29th Jun 09 at 9:32pm
as far as tube goes box tube with plates at the joints will be stronger than the original frame by a long shot so you'll be good there.... I have back halfed truck frames for air ride trucks with cut box tube frames and hopped them feet into the air without any issues

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 29th Jun 09 at 9:45pm
Posted By yeagley on 29th Jun 09 at 7:04pm

Sorry for taking over your build Chris. Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics, in the end your still a fucking retard. I never said get rid of your 1 tons.....They are way better than Toyota axles. V-8s are way cooler than 144 c.i. toyota motors. My gay little truck gets me to the trail and to work while getting 17mpg. Thats pussy shit there. Maybe someday I will have someone else build me a buggy because I cant build anything that doesnt fall apart on the trail.

Any luck on fixing the motor Chris??

must be that soy sauce you put in your axles Cole Smiley

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 29th Jun 09 at 10:51pm
i drive pretty easy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSho-lSiibE

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 30th Jun 09 at 8:53am
oh I remember that!! but I doubt you'll ever do anything like that again... Im just wondering what you were planning on with the trail rig, whether you run 60's or yota axles you do something like that your breaking knuckles and running leaf springs theres less to soak all that up...... If your gonna hammer down all the time run 40+ tires than even a stock or mildly built 60 is gonna break every weekend you drive it, your gonna have to dump enough coin in a 60 that it will make those connecting rods you posted look cheap! and if your planning on doing stuff like that and hammering down just ditch the toyota all together because you'd just be throwing money in the fire, if you wanna good dependable trail rig then continue with your build with what you got already but you wont be able to drive like that with it...and if your already worried about money with swapping gears and stuff in your yota axles than you cant afford to build a rig to take that kinda stuff period, unless you plan on finishing it years from now, I like the toyota stuff I think it will make a nice rig and despite what the yota haters say I think it will hold up well on the trail even under some hard driving.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By kranker (kranker) on 30th Jun 09 at 9:39am
enough with all this bs. just build what you got and get on the trail. you can change to the big boy stuff when you are ready. i think i might have some toyota stuff left over from the buggy that you can have when i clean out the garage in two weeks. i will hit you up when (if i still have it) i find it. just get on the trail and come party :booze: Smiley

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By matt (matt) on 30th Jun 09 at 2:12pm
Yep run what you got and hurry up and build your truck! After a few trips and a few more :kranker: you will know what you need to upgrade!

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By rockcrawlinredneck (rockcrawlinredneck) on 30th Jun 09 at 7:53pm
There is a good machine shop down in South Sac. called Cascar. I went to HS with the owner's two sons. They do good work and work on foriegn stuff. In fact EG Dodge uses them to do there machinr work I believe. There Info is Cascar

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 30th Jun 09 at 9:54pm
ill drive it cool, cause im gonna keep it on the street and stuff. i have built toyota axles im not too worried about breaking stuff. its mostly other people discussing axles and such here.

if i worked faster people would have less time to talk about the other stuff.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 30th Jun 09 at 9:55pm

There is a good machine shop down in South Sac. called Cascar. I went to HS with the owner's two sons. They do good work and work on foriegn stuff. In fact EG Dodge uses them to do there machinr work I believe. There Info is Cascar

thanks ill give the dude a call.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 6th Jul 09 at 9:19pm
I did some stuff today that will let me work on the truck throughout the week when I get home from work.

Garage before
Garage after
Workspace before
Workspace after
I moved the truck into the garage

Here's some pic's of stuff I did a while ago;

omg AA gusset!!!
Steering box mount

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bigbadjeepster (bigbadjeepster) on 6th Jul 09 at 9:54pm
nothing beats a clean work space. :thumbsup:

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By bkizzle (bkizzle) on 6th Jul 09 at 11:25pm
sucks that you mounted all the stuff up front and have to cut it off for the motor swap....... you still doing the 4.7 motor right?

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By T-CARP (admin) on 7th Jul 09 at 7:01pm
Dang Chris you got rid of the gym!!! Now where are you gonna sculpt your guns{Confused}

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 7th Jul 09 at 11:23pm
i get my swoll on, on the back porch.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 8th Jul 09 at 9:46pm
I started stripping the motor down to get it ready for machine shop.
This is gonna be a mother fucker to put back together.

Why is it as soon as I take my gloves off, I see something else to do, only to slip with my needle nose pliers. (for the record I didn't bang my hand or slip on anything tonight, with my gloves on)

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By BigRob (bigrob) on 9th Jul 09 at 6:33am
Food for thought in Hengls rollover at Donner a couple weeks ago those AA fab gusset ripped in half due to the insignia.....just my .02 though

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By rockcrawlinredneck (rockcrawlinredneck) on 10th Jul 09 at 8:37pm
What machine shop are you gonna end up taking it to?

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By btilton (btilton) on 10th Jul 09 at 9:49pm
chris.   i don care what you do... just do something.  you know enough to make some desisions.  put that thing together and lets go wheel.  upgrade the stuff that breaks later

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 30th Jul 09 at 8:56am
I just noticed spider webs on my truck, I better do some work on it this weekend.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 23rd Aug 10 at 11:19pm
I just wanted to let everybody know this things not dead. Ive been very busy with work, my job is 100% travel and I cover the entire state of California. I spent 6 months in southern California and now I'm back in Sacramento working on the yota again. Smiley

Heres some pics. {Grin}

Rebuilt 4.7L

Crossmember for T-case

The yellow string is bottom of frame rails and bottom of cab, I did that to know where to run my exhaust.

That's a lot of motor in my cab.

These are the motor mounts.

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By chrisconley (chrisconley) on 23rd Aug 10 at 11:22pm
I'm really getting stuck on it, everytime I try to do something I notice other things that interfere with it. I would really like to pick somebody's brain over it.... Mr. Yaegley I'll buy you some beer if you share your thoughts. Smiley

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By BigRob (bigrob) on 24th Aug 10 at 9:54pm
man i likey..... looking really good from where i sit!

Re: Conley's 1980 Toyota - Posted By DAN FRAN SISCO (thehooskerdeally) on 24th Aug 10 at 10:11pm
Killer idea on running the string through the flanges. Sure beats holding a piece of pipe up there and going sure its fine{Confused} {Confused} lol Looks like its gunna be a nice rig