ZOMBIE 4x4 BOARD Banner

ZOMBIE 4x4 BOARD :: General :: General 4x4 Discussion :: AUTO VS MANUAL - View Topic (Page 1 of 2)Page: 1 2
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
kodizzle
Official Zombie Supporter

[Avatar]

pm

AUTO VS MANUAL (16th Jan 11 at 4:22am UTC)
trying to decide, talked to a few guys and it seems to be 50 50 so far. auto or manual? and which kind.

mostly trail rig maybe some rock racing.

sold {Sad} - 85 toyota ex-cab rebuilt 22RE chevy rears hybrid pack up front hi steer 5:29 detroit rear 38.5 cromo fronts, arb SX\'s and one sic ass custom paint job

72 FJ40 land cruiser fresh build in proces
will
Wheeler

[Avatar]

pmwww

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (16th Jan 11 at 5:35pm UTC)
I would go with a built th400. But I hate holding a clutch on a hill.

52 Willys wagon on tons

4 Wheel Parts Sac
1900 El Camino Ave
Sac, CA 95815
(916) 646 4979
HOGAN

[Avatar]

Black Jeep Metal Mafia Member

pm

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (16th Jan 11 at 6:23pm UTC)
I would do whats in your price range and will suit your needs best and only you can answer that. Manuals were the only way to go a few years back now the tables are turning.

Little 04 Rubicon, 5.13 gears, Home brew Highline on 36's Beat to hell and almost paid off... Happiness is Rock Crawling in your "Daily Driver"..... kinda.

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
BigRob
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

Build it Whiskey Proof!

pm

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (16th Jan 11 at 7:05pm UTC)
I look at it like this.... manuals will or atleast shouldnt ever leave you stranded as long as you can find a gear and you can also push/tow start them also, and water will not mess it up, atleast not immediatly and if you get bound up a manual is alot harder on drivetrain. and a 5spd manual is not a cheap transmission but if you plan to drive it on the highway then i would assume you would want a 5spd. also they are as long or longer than some autos.

Auto's make technical driving so much easier and the torque converter is soo much easier on parts over the positive engagement of a clutch. Auto's will tend to generate alot of heat due to the torque converter but with a LARGE trans-cooler (seperate unit and a must) will not be a problem. any auto trans you get can and should be gone through with the exception that alot of people have pulled c-6 and th400 from the wrecking yards and ran them with no problems. Some cases length could be an issue also. some people say that you lose engine breaking but thats just not true when you consider 4low and deep axles gears.

I really think you should get out there and drive some comparable rigs to what your building and try an auto and a manual and then make a decision. anyhow just my .02 cents and i could go on for days......
oh ya and i don't care who you are.... you can't shift faster and more flawlessly than an automatic...lol

Big fish in an even bigger pond
BigRob
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

Build it Whiskey Proof!

pm

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (16th Jan 11 at 7:07pm UTC)
price wise i think you will be into them about the same considering everything involved.....

BMFNTOY

[Avatar]

pm

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (17th Jan 11 at 12:31am UTC)
I have no personal experiance wheeling an Auto so I can't give you my opinion on it from 1st hand experience. I CAN however tell you that everyone I know that used to wheel with a Manual and switched to an Auto, says they will never go back to a manual.........

My next rig? Going to be an Auto all the way............

TFab 100 Proof "Getting it buggy" LS2/TH400/4 spd. Atlas/Prorock D60 front/D70U rear CTM 37/40 spline shafts thruout/40" Kevlar stickies on Racelines...blah blah blah........
mikeb
Zombie Member

pm

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (17th Jan 11 at 2:04am UTC)
Except for me. Ran sticks tried an auto and went back to a stick. For a trail rig stick all the way. Plus they are super cheap, and don't require a ton of stuff to make it work. On a Cruiser you can use the stock slave and master cylinder and easily adapt it to work with the gm release arm.

By the way stabbed a 350, turbo 400, and 205 in a Cruiser a few years. Fit great.

God gave me a superior brain over the rest of the animals, so I could exploit the planet.
mikeb
Zombie Member

pm

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (17th Jan 11 at 2:06am UTC)
I love jiMMys set up 350/sm420, Dana 300. Anyone can get in his rig and drive it no problem.

God gave me a superior brain over the rest of the animals, so I could exploit the planet.
Sillyneck
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

Hotdog in a sea of narrow hallways

pmwww

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (17th Jan 11 at 2:15am UTC)
except for me too {Wink} I hated my th400 and it was plenty strong and supposed to be built up all good. of course this is all done for my personal driving style.

putting a 465 back in the rig. 4.56 in the axles, 5.0 i the case... and it'll go down the hwy like o/d and go down the trail ultra slow.

th 400 starts at 2.84:1 and ends at 1:1. 465 starts at 6.5ish and ends at 1.1. yeah yeah torque converter doubles your crawl supposedly. I don't feel it. maybe I needed more motor.

a good motor, soft complient suspension, and the right gearing I think an auto would shine in a crawler. in a race car where you're not finnessing much and just beating it and bouncing off stuff.. makes a ton of sense. short of that there's something to be said for putting it in crawl, letting the clutch out.. then touching none of the pedals {Wink}

1955 CJ7 60-14, 309 hp inline V8, drag slicks, twice pipe twin stacks, high recompression piston return springs with blow off valves.
BigRob
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

Build it Whiskey Proof!

pm

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (17th Jan 11 at 6:19am UTC)
I think the 400 has the highest 1st gear ratio too.....but you can buy and install a lower one. {Grin}

BigRob
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

Build it Whiskey Proof!

pm

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (17th Jan 11 at 6:20am UTC)

I love jiMMys set up 350/sm420, Dana 300. Anyone can get in his rig and drive it no problem.

If someone can't drive an auto i don't want them anywhere close to my rig....lmao Smiley

BigRob
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

Build it Whiskey Proof!

pm

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (17th Jan 11 at 6:21am UTC)
CAN'T STALL AN AUTO..... {Grin}

VERTIGO
Zombie Member

global warmer

pmwww

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (17th Jan 11 at 5:10pm UTC)
I've been running an auto for quite some time now. 10+ yrs. Ive had a few problems along the way, but nothing because of Trans failure where it left me stranded. Cross member was not correct which caused the case to crack, secondarys open on the road and 2nd gear clutches were slipping a little. I had it rebuilt by Jeremy @ Raz auto in Rio Linda for a few hundred and havn't had a problem since.
I would go with the C6 any day of the week. The tranny has held up to the big block really well. I understand the whole, water in the tranny{Confused} not sure how it could get in there? unless I completely swamped it, but then I would have several other problems .. hehe... like sinking to the bottom...

Autos are cool and you definetely don't break nearly as much, shafts, joints, drivelines... much more forgiving... make sure you run a BIG cooler like Rob said, have the option of turning on the fan as well,
I run a doubler with 4.88 in the axles, and it finally works great!.

Autos are really cool for sand hill climbs, mud pits, and not spilling your beer....

72 scout with a bigblock 1 tons, link n locked... new tranny
00 powersmoke, new tranny
60' T-Bird
01' KLX300r
046 Stihl

KEEP PUBLIC LAND OPEN TO THE REPUBLIC

http://www.greatestaterealty.com
Alotakids!
Zombie Member
Holy shit did you say shoot the pickle?

There is no RRRR in Zombie :)

pm

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (17th Jan 11 at 6:38pm UTC)
If he is running a 22re like his sig says, why would you put an auto behind that? If he is running 8 cylinders then sure an auto but otherwise run the manual side stepping the clutch gives you instant wheel turning and no waiting for the torque converter.

Do unto others as u would have them do unto u.
kodizzle

[Avatar]

pm

Re: AUTO VS MANUAL (17th Jan 11 at 8:25pm UTC)

If he is running a 22re like his sig says, why would you put an auto behind that? If he is running 8 cylinders then sure an auto but otherwise run the manual side stepping the clutch gives you instant wheel turning and no waiting for the torque converter.

Nope this is a new build. 72 Land cruiser TBI 350 14 bolt rear 60 front 4 link front/rear. Sold the toyota on saturday to fund the new build.

sold {Sad} - 85 toyota ex-cab rebuilt 22RE chevy rears hybrid pack up front hi steer 5:29 detroit rear 38.5 cromo fronts, arb SX\'s and one sic ass custom paint job

72 FJ40 land cruiser fresh build in proces
 Printable View
Page: 1 2