ZOMBIE 4x4 BOARD :: General :: General Talk :: car #916 koh recap - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
btilton
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

el perezoso

pm

car #916 koh recap (15th Feb 10 at 4:43am UTC)
I got a call from Craig (my calrocs spotter) four months ago aking me what I thought about running the LCQ. I blem him off just as fast as he got the words out of his mouth, telling him there was no way. After thinking about it the rest of the day I called him back and said lets do it. it was all down hill from there.

Our trip started off on the wrong foot about a mile down the road with a blown radiator hose on the RV. About an hour later and the lucky fuzzy dice installed, we were on the road again. We arrived on the lake bed around 9:30 sunday morning and began setting up camp. As soon as well pulled the car out of the trailer I noticed a serious problem. A heim on the bottom of one of my coil overs was bent and we never cought it during prep. Craigs dad steve, who had already been a huge help getting us to the race, hands me his credit card and says " go buy a new pair. I didnt come all this way to not watch you race."
I wandered around for a few hours trying to find a vender but had no luck. Then dave cole points me in the direction of joel from bilstein. Joel informs me that he doesnt take credit cards on the lake bed but will see what he can do to get me set up. About two hours later he hands me a set of new coil overs that he built in his trailer only asking in return that I call him when im ready to upgrade the front. Which I should add has made me a bilstein customer for life. Thanks again Joel.
We get the car back together and head off to back door to start pre running. Th first time through we get in on the third or fourth try. I loop around again to make sure i can repeat it when it counts. The next time through I try it as if I was in the race. I pull my front tires up the rocks and then hammer down. Only this time I am about 6-12 inches to the right. I get all the way up the step and the whole rig jumps to the right and launches me off the top. (I believe someone from gen right has it in a sequence shot.) The rest of sunday night was spent repairing the hood, grill, cracked radiator, broken light bar and headlights.
Monday morning we are first in line for tech. We fly through with only needing some sheet metal work and my custom high gloss wing window nets(black duct tape). We head back out to test some more and give back door another shot. 20 minutes later we are back in camp with a broken drive line support mount and hydro line. By now we are convinced about winching up and keeping the car together.
First thing tuesday morning we pull the lucky dice from the RV and put them in the car. We are ninth of the line and finish in one peice in 27 minutes. Not the fastest time but hopfully enough to get us in. Later in the day we are greeted with the rain and are chances start looking better.
After being on pins and needles all day wens. Dave is finally ready to anounce the qualifiers for the main race. He tells us that 21 people will be getting in. The 21 person just so happens to be the guy that beat us by 5 seconds. My heart sank. Until he informs us that Burton Jenner will not be racing and we get his spot. Not what we planned but ill take it.

Friday morning comes early and we are ready to race. At this point we already feel like we have won, so anything from here on out is a bonus. We started number 71 next to shannon campbell, which i though was funny having the cheapest and most expensive rigs next to each other on the line. I have not confirmed it yet but im pretty sure we were in front of him for at least the first inch or so.
We end up racing all the way to about the 110 mile mark where we stop to re-wire the light bar and look over the rig. As soon as i get out i notice the cause of the bad vibration for the last thirty miles. A tacoed rear link. Then i notice my banana shaped coil over( not one of my new bilsteins) and a crack tab on a link mount. Its at this point Craig and I decide to pull the plug.
I can honestly say I have never had as much fun in my life as I did on friday. None of it would have been possible with out the support of my family, friends and sponsors. A huge thanks to Craig and steve baum,joel from bilstein, Steve from powertank, J&W jeep, Randys ring and pinion, all the other rock zombies that came out and ran pits and the MFS pit crew at the calrocs pits for turning wrenches and giving me the mystery gas(thanks camo and glenn bonner). And last but not least Jeff and Dave for putting on such a great event.

thanks again to everyone,
Brian Tilton car # 916

TILTON BROTHERS CUSTOM CABINETS
(916) 704-5446

Who?

"I SHOULD HAVE WENT TO WYOTECH AND BEEN FAMOUS...INSTEAD I WENT TO PICK AND PULL AND LEARNED SPANGLISH" J HENGL
HOGAN
Official Zombie Supporter

[Avatar]

Black Jeep Metal Mafia Member

pm

Re: car #916 koh recap (15th Feb 10 at 5:45am UTC)
{Cool}

Little 04 Rubicon, 5.13 gears, Home brew Highline on 36's Beat to hell and almost paid off... Happiness is Rock Crawling in your "Daily Driver"..... kinda.

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
Sillyneck
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

Hotdog in a sea of narrow hallways

pmwww

Re: car #916 koh recap (15th Feb 10 at 3:22pm UTC)
Great story man! I've been waiting for a couple days to hear what happened. Not to take anything away from travis and trout but it must have felt a little good to go a little farther with much less invested. The underdog story is always the most heartwarming {Grin}

1955 CJ7 60-14, 309 hp inline V8, drag slicks, twice pipe twin stacks, high recompression piston return springs with blow off valves.
kranker
Zombie Member

fuckd up 4 life

pm

Re: car #916 koh recap (15th Feb 10 at 3:57pm UTC)
:booze: :booze: Smiley :thumbsup:

Rigless but I do have a 63 caddy now!
Trying to find a rig asap is in the works

tellico post #208
jiMMythejerk
Zombie Member
That really just happend.....

Paging Dr. Faggot.

pm

Re: car #916 koh recap (15th Feb 10 at 4:26pm UTC)
most excellent, congrats you guys. i bet it was a blast.

Red tape bandito!!!

I vote peel em..........

68FJ40 Propane350/sm420/d300/d60/d70
06 mid engine sandrail / 2276

Livin the dream!
BMFNTOY
Official Zombie Supporter

[Avatar]

pm

Re: car #916 koh recap (15th Feb 10 at 4:55pm UTC)
Great job guys, you have alot to be proud of!! {Cool}

TFab 100 Proof "Getting it buggy" LS2/TH400/4 spd. Atlas/Prorock D60 front/D70U rear CTM 37/40 spline shafts thruout/40" Kevlar stickies on Racelines...blah blah blah........
mikeb
Zombie Member

pm

Re: car #916 koh recap (15th Feb 10 at 5:16pm UTC)
Great job.

That right there will make me a Bilstein customer also. Next time I need shocks I buying bilsteins. Thats awesome.

God gave me a superior brain over the rest of the animals, so I could exploit the planet.
doddgepower

[Avatar]

pmwww

Re: car #916 koh recap (15th Feb 10 at 9:37pm UTC)
Congrats to all you guys, Tilton, Carp, and everybody. That was a mind boggling experience and I can only imagine what it was like in the Rigs! Congrats!!!!

Translation for Vegan = Poor hunter!
Craig
Zombie Member

pm

Re: car #916 koh recap (16th Feb 10 at 5:26pm UTC)
Nice recap Brian. Couple of things to add as well.

Thanks to all of our sponsers, we coudlnt have done it without you.
Thanks to my Dad he helped us so much before we left, while we where there and during the race.
Thanks to everyone that helped us during the pits, all the Zombies and the MFS Crew.
Thanks to Joel form Bilstien, I was worried our week was over before we even started. Brian also left out we blew up a front air bump also and Joel had us two news ones and said here you go if they work we will figure it out later. Im glad to be running bilstein shocks after his support to two no name guys.

I have never had so much fun being stuck in a car for 10 hours before. I almost crashed the car around RM 5 when Brian leans over in front of me and flips a photographer off thats about to take a picture of us. I was laughing so hard and asked him do you know who that is, he goes no. And watching Big Rob trying to stuff gronola bars down tiltons mouth through the helmet. Tilton and I had such a good time during the race and were laughing, telling jokes and stories most of the race.

Thanks again for having me be a part of the race Brian, and letting me drive your car for part of the race.

Cant wait for next year! We will be back!
BigToy
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

pm

Re: car #916 koh recap (16th Feb 10 at 6:37pm UTC)
Right on guys! damn glad to see you two make it in, and do so well.
JUNKYARD DOGS
Wheeler

[Avatar]

pm

Re: car #916 koh recap (16th Feb 10 at 9:16pm UTC)
ANYTIME GUYS YOU DID A GREAT JOB AND I'M GLAD WE COULD HELP YOU OUT AT THE CAL ROCS PIT WITH THE MYSTERY FUEL.........
k5chevyblazer
Zombie Ally

[Avatar]

Dysfunctional

pm

Re: car #916 koh recap (17th Feb 10 at 1:19pm UTC)
awesome story guys. congrats on making it as far as you guys did. I was at the wrecking ball pits from 1130am until 830pm. I was waiting for you guys to come thru.

Ryan Morgan
Tow Rig = 2006 Chevy Silverado 3500
Rock Toy = 1973 K5 Buggy

Automatic Gates by Morgan

Pirate 4x4: The Game - My Profile
lil-bronc
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

pm

Re: car #916 koh recap (17th Feb 10 at 4:17pm UTC)
Brian & Craig, you guys rocked...

You guys ran the race great and should be a lot of fun to see you guys next year.

Live accross the river and still, Trying to keep up with the Jones'.

"So much of what is best in us, is bound up in our love of family. That it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty. "
 Printable View