ZOMBIE 4x4 BOARD :: General :: Build Ups :: i got it. - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
chrisconley
Hardcore

[Avatar]

pm

i got it. (26th Mar 08 at 11:40pm UTC)
so i took a trip to pnp this morning and found a 1981 toyota 4x4 transfer case. since it was wednesday i got it for 25% off, so basically about 92 bucks.

so i have two 21 spline gear driven transfercases. i was told that the 23 spline t-cases only came out of turbos, so since i already had one 21 spline i figured i'd just pick up another. i hate dirty parts and both are grimy and filthy. what can i clean them with? i seperated one reduction box from the t-case to clean but like i realized i didnt know what i was doing so i bolted it back together. do you need special tools to mess with transfer cases? like to pull gears out for inspection and cleaning.

another thing was i went to TAP first and the dude told me they didnt have 23 spline t-cases and they were hard to find but i could get a 23 spline input shaft for like 50 bucks; ya friggen right. ive looked on a few websites and there a couple hundred bucks.

so i guess now i need a 23 spline input shaft for one of the cases to put behind the 5spd turbo transmission.

installing a 4.7 low gear is something i can do or something that needs to be done by a professional{Confused}

B.ecause U. D.eserve W.hat E.very I.ndividual S.hould E.njoy R.egularly
sarge
Official Zombie Supporter

pm

Re: i got it. (27th Mar 08 at 12:50am UTC)
Inchworm 23 spline 200$ doubler plate 275$ he's slow so do a little jewing

79cj7 soa's built fw44 built fw9"rear 488's arb's 350tbi sm465/toyota 5-1, 228-1 104"sitting on 42's
T-CARP
Administrator

[Avatar]

Blaaarrrgggg!!

pmwww

Re: i got it. (27th Mar 08 at 2:06am UTC)
I have done the 5.0 gears before and so has tilton, just follow the directions, grind the case enough the first time, and don't lose the detent balls and you will be fine. The snap rings kinda suck but get some good snap ring pliers.

Do what you gotta do!

R.I.P. Dave Halabuk

yeagley
Re: i got it. (28th Mar 08 at 4:38am UTC)
The t-case is easy to work on. Look on Marlins site and look at the instructions. Hardest part is clearancing the t-case housing. Get a 4.7 gear set. The 5.0 is junk.
chrisconley
Hardcore

[Avatar]

pm

Re: i got it. (28th Mar 08 at 5:49am UTC)
you know what sucks the R151F turbo transmission has the same output as a v-6 so i have to buy another adapter to go from it to a 4cyl transfer case. then a 23 spline input shaft for the front t-case. then an adapter for a second t-case. a 23 pline input shaft for that. a 4.7 low range gear for the rear case.

i thought i was just gonna buy one adapter for two t-cases spend 275 bucks and call it a day. nope.

but in the end ill have a pretty sweet setup!!

B.ecause U. D.eserve W.hat E.very I.ndividual S.hould E.njoy R.egularly
jeremyhengl
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

Actual Wheeler

pm

Re: i got it. (28th Mar 08 at 4:08pm UTC)
hmm i think if its a 4 cyl turbo tranny the t case bolts up the same so , the only thing you gotta change is the input on the first transfer case and get the adapter for the second for duals

the gears set is hella easy to install , you could do it yourself in probally like an hour or two

c'mon if t-carp can do it ? you can flipoff

Many thanks to all my sponsors and Pit crew ,
Yukon Gear and Axle
Wrap Concept
Bilstien
Bull Dog Winches
G & M construction
Greenside landscape
Susanville Trans.
Rock Zombies crew friends and family
T-CARP
Administrator

[Avatar]

Blaaarrrgggg!!

pmwww

Re: i got it. (28th Mar 08 at 5:38pm UTC)
jerk you

Do what you gotta do!

R.I.P. Dave Halabuk

sarge
Official Zombie Supporter

pm

Re: i got it. (28th Mar 08 at 6:05pm UTC)

jerk you
It's a toyota couldn't be that tough Like I said call inchworm they will give you all the info you need 539-677-8111 matt will prob. answer and he can give you the answers crazy

79cj7 soa's built fw44 built fw9"rear 488's arb's 350tbi sm465/toyota 5-1, 228-1 104"sitting on 42's
rockcrawlinredneck
Zombie Ally

pmwww

Re: i got it. (30th Mar 08 at 4:02am UTC)

hmm i think if its a 4 cyl turbo tranny the t case bolts up the same so , the only thing you gotta change is the input on the first transfer case and get the adapter for the second for duals

This is correct. All you should need is the 23 spline input gear, no adapter except for the dual case adapter.

Kevin

CALIFORNIA CREEPERS
www.calcreepers.com
 Printable View