ZOMBIE 4x4 BOARD Banner

ZOMBIE 4x4 BOARD :: General :: Build Ups :: Hogans Rubicon from the begining - View Topic (Page 1 of 3)Page: 1 2 3
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
HOGAN
Official Zombie Supporter

[Avatar]

Black Jeep Metal Mafia Member

pm

Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 6:37am UTC)
Welll here it goes my Rubicon build from stock, to mild and soon to be wild. Figured I have the time and a little pacience so I'll give it a try. It all started with a 50 crash at some local jumps. I didn't thing much of it until I ended up in the hospital 4 months later with an infection from hell! I wasn't able to drive let alone get into my old CJ7 so i decided to sell it. This is a pic 6 hours after my crash....

From my nuts all the way down to my heel looked like that a week later... Anyways I sold my CJ.

About a year later I realized how much I missed having a jeep and decided it was time for another. I had no intentions on buying what I did but....... I got the Rubicon. I wasted no time and called Jensen telling him it was game on, I was really on because he recieved that very call from fordyce. I was there later that night.

Before the first payment was made the jeep was rolled and all fear of door dings was gone. Days later the bank (chrystler Financial) called and said that since I put 0 down on my loan and I couldn't prove my income that if I didn't come up with $2000 to put down they would have to take the jeep back. " LOL sucker I already rolled that bitch and if you plan to come get it you better bring something to un bury it from the mud"............. I never heard back from them and re-financed with Golden one. Good bye 10.9% APR , hello 3.9%.

Here are some shots dicken around at P. City when it was stock...

Image.

The hunt for 33's soon began.....

Little 04 Rubicon, 5.13 gears, Home brew Highline on 36's Beat to hell and almost paid off... Happiness is Rock Crawling in your "Daily Driver"..... kinda.

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
HOGAN

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 6:57am UTC)
i soon found someone who wanted trade my stock wheels and tires for 33' MTR's on black steelies.

Out came the sawzall, Chopped the front fenders and threw in some CJ turn signals, also added some LED tail lights and a rack. I wheeled like this far at couple years at least. Heres some more pics....

Ok. What do you notice in the last pic? yeah I'm stuck but I din't mention adding a CJ tailgate yet. Well that was added because when we were at fordyce I got stuck in a mud hole on the way back from Wh3. T-carp was behind me and and I was holding up the show.. "just push me!" well ask and you shall receive, I was now "unstuck" and the tail gate was "unrepairable",lol.

Little 04 Rubicon, 5.13 gears, Home brew Highline on 36's Beat to hell and almost paid off... Happiness is Rock Crawling in your "Daily Driver"..... kinda.

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
HOGAN

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 7:15am UTC)
the next set of photos are what brought the Rubicon to its next mod. A snorkle.

Here is a pic from when Travis was a monster truck driver.

Tilton was captain america...

And I was the guy that parked on everyones 40's...

At this point I think, hey this is pretty cool....

At this point I'm starting to change my mind.....

And at this point all I can think is the amount of water DUMPING over my door!!!

We made it across and up to the top. I opened the tailgate and water flooded out. I think I pissed my pants, but it didn't matter because they were aready wet lol.

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
HOGAN

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 7:27am UTC)
So I wanted to a a snorkle but but didn't want to buy a $300 ARB one.

I had already smashed up every corner of the jeep and I'd probably just rip it off or smash it so why not run it in the cab? Well thats what I did and it only cost $25. It's been on FOREVER and I have no complaints or cares about any noise it makes.

SNORKLE DONE!

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
HOGAN

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 7:43am UTC)
Well by now the hunt was on for the next step and Mods. decided I wanted to run 35's with only a 2 inch coil spacer and thats it, otherwise completly stock suspension. Those plance were brought to a hault when the Rubicon was involved in a accident. I T-boned someone in a parking lot as they ran a stop sign. I hit them and they spun me around. I was bummed.

They basically replaced the entire front end and steering components, and they reused my hood. I decided to work a deal with the body shop it went to. I saved them money buy getting poision spyder tube fenders over the OEM's..."FREEBIE!" The accident was declared the other guys fault and I paid nothing out of pocket. THANKS DUDE!

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
HOGAN

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 7:57am UTC)
Now back on track it was time to stuff the 35's under the still stock suspension. But 35's weren't enough. I had 5.13's installed and also decided to do a home brew highlined hood. I had done some reading on this but hadn't seen it done with tube fenders. The AVE highline kit was $2000 and still only included sheetmetal fenders.

This is were it all started....

Shortly after I had the fenders off

This braket was in the way and handled accordingly...

TA-Da!

Had to do some cutting to clear the headlights...

And removed the Poison spyder original gusset...

{Smile}

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
HOGAN

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 8:24am UTC)
Now the so called problem I had read about was the stock airbox because it mounts to the fender and after being raised 3.5 inches it would hit the hood. Solution...... recess it into the fender.

Put it on

trace it up

cut-it-out!

Fender re-installed 3.5 higher than before.

air box installed in cutout

We have clearance!!

I got the drivers side buttoned up and it was time to chop my freshly painted hood!

Here it is sitting on the fenders at their new heigth.

Lay out my tape

GET SOME!!!!!!!

The result was worth the 2 days it took me to do! A highlined hood with tube fenders!! hell yeah.

Side view with 33's

BAM! Side view with 35's

You can see were the rock sliders used to be on the fenders...Not gonna cut the mustard!

So I turned these two pices of angle that were found in a field....

Into These...

This dude couldn't beleive his eye's! lol.

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
HOGAN

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 8:41am UTC)
now it was time to test our results...

The fenders are the bump stops....... needs more trimming

Gotta love the extra 3.5 of clearance with no suspension lift! Room to spare!!!

After geting home decided to make a couple more things.

A decorative piece for our mantle

And I took the stock rock slider that I removed

And made a radiator skid out of it

Before:

After:

Figured it was put to good use since Kranker had just gotten me another new radiator (after the accident). I punctured the radiator labor day weekend at the Con. Kranker was with me and this is a picture from that trip.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Good times!!!!

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
HOGAN

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 9:03am UTC)
Now time for some punishment pics!!

WH3

But carnage was inevitable!!!!

Good thing I carry spare's we gotta drive this turd home!!!

Back in the game!!!!

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
HOGAN

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 9:11am UTC)
Having seen Ian roll (from his passenger seat) figured I didn't want this to happen to my hood since I drive to and from the trail. He mangled the raditor and it over heated so bad it ran like a diesel and lock up on the drive home!

So I called up Trout and got me some Fishmouth Fab

THANKS DAN!!

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
HOGAN

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 9:18am UTC)
That pretty much brings us up to date over the last 5-6 years. Sice I got married, I have installed a the RE long arm kit. (thanks for the hand and work space Mikey and AL for the kit!!) and now have upgraded to 36's. Next week I am ditching the dumb ass Currie steering I have in favor for a setup using all Chevy rodends. I got a few other goodies and now that were current in the progress of the heep I'll keep it updated.

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
bigbadjeepster
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

how about a warm glass of shut the hell up?!

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 9:58am UTC)
Savage

cheeks
69 commando with some goodies
70 commando with more goodies
BigRob
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

Build it Whiskey Proof!

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 2:44pm UTC)
fawkin sweet!!! When is it going to get to the axle build? get some!!!!! {Cool}

Big fish in an even bigger pond
matt
Zombie Member

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 4:10pm UTC)
Nice build thread. That jeep has come a long way! Its going to be sweet with 1 tons under it. Then you can definitely get some!

1983 Toyota, tube bed, dual cases with 4.7, linked f/r with 16" fox coilovers, arb dana 44 front, welded 12 bolt rear, 39" Krawlers, 115" wheelbase
HOGAN

[Avatar]

pm

Re: Hogans Rubicon from the begining (26th Feb 10 at 6:48pm UTC)
Decided to wait on the axles till its paid off, however the hunt for parts will continue. Since the weather is bad I wont be working on the 14 bolt this weekend but as soon as I do pics will be posted.

Tellico Rally Post #555

Sponsored by HENGL
Team HENGL your face!
 Printable View
Page: 1 2 3