ZOMBIE 4x4 BOARD > General :: Build Ups :: > Curly"s Rat Rod Urn..... :(

Curly"s Rat Rod Urn..... :( - Posted By HOGAN (hogan) on 28th Jan 11 at 9:58pm
Some of you know my Shipping manager of my shop past away. He left behind the newest love of his life his 37 Ford Rat Rod pickup he'd been working on for the last two years. We got a call from his son asking if we could make up a Urn.....the was no uestion we were up for the challenge. When thinking of what to make the owner of our company said "build a rat rod" we didn't build any rat rod... we built his. This was my project for the last 24 hours. I dont have pic from day 1 but the cab is made up of 9 seperate pieces and I shaped the roof with a hammer and a pipe. Anyways here is what we came up with.

We traced the acctual pic's by taping it to the computer screen to shape the doors/sides. From there we lasered out the doors and rear cab. Here are the pics we used.

Re: Curly"s Rat Rod Urn..... :( - Posted By HOGAN (hogan) on 29th Jan 11 at 3:12pm
So here is what we had end up with after day 1, we had the completed cab and bed sitting on a frame supported by jack stands....Just like Curly's

We wanted this thing to look as close to his as possible in its current state so the clean DA sanded look wasn't gonna cut it so I brushed Phosfuric acid onto the cab and bed to try and start to rust this thing up. After 20 minutes I rinsed it and let it sit to rust. The one time I wanted something to rust it wasn't going well, whenever I want something as clean as possible it gets some rust.....go figure. It looked a bit better but it still wasn't good enough so we grabbed some salt packet off of the roach coach and I made a salt water solution in a spray bottle and that worked well and fast!!

Next we lasered out the name and backing plate. We used a piece of galvanized for the name plate and aluminum for the backing plate. I used a 4 inch grinder with a scotchbrite pad to give it a uneven brushed effect on the aluminum.

Next I shot the black powder on the name plate while we formed up the box and lid to hold his ashes I din't get any pics of those steps but you'll see them in a bit.

Here are the jackstands all masked off getting ready for the orange powder.

I blew off any olerspray of the powder because I didn't want to tape over any of the rust.

Re: Curly"s Rat Rod Urn..... :( - Posted By lil-bronc (lilbronc) on 29th Jan 11 at 3:32pm
Looks great..

Re: Curly"s Rat Rod Urn..... :( - Posted By HOGAN (hogan) on 29th Jan 11 at 7:04pm
Well I don't have any pictures of making the box for his ashes but I decided to powder it the same color that he had me powder some parts for the truck 2 weeks ago (Steel Gray). So here are the completed pics of what we did in less than 24 hours. It was a sad thing to have to do but he deserves it. Some blood sweat and tears went into it but I was honored to be a part of the process. I hope I don't have to do it again but under diffrent circumstanes it was one of the coolest things I've got to do. RIP Curly Your missed by more than you know.....

After a long debate I really didn't want to shoot any clear powder over the truck fearing that the clear would bubble due to the rust. After making some calls we concluded that a clear spay enamel would do the trick. So with a quick trip to home depot I threw down some clear and here is the final result before his son pics it up....

I am supper proud of the result and will never forget the experience of doing this for my friend Curly. I can wait for his family and friends to see it.

Re: Curly"s Rat Rod Urn..... :( - Posted By Donkey (norcalzukini) on 29th Jan 11 at 11:26pm
Very cool Hogan, you should be proud and honored. Looks great and sorry to hear about your friend passing

Re: Curly"s Rat Rod Urn..... :( - Posted By BigRob (bigrob) on 30th Jan 11 at 10:05am
great job man, sorry for your loss bro

Re: Curly"s Rat Rod Urn..... :( - Posted By BMFNTOY (bmfntoy) on 30th Jan 11 at 11:07am
Sorry for the passing of your friend but big props to you for turning out such an incredible "project" in his honor, way to go, looks great!

Re: Curly"s Rat Rod Urn..... :( - Posted By HOGAN (hogan) on 30th Jan 11 at 2:50pm
Thanks guys. I wish he were able to finish the truck, he did alot of cool stuff for the build. He built some bad ass seats, floor pan, steering column, Bed, trailing arms and a bunch of other cool stuff at the shop. He had a 56 chevy pickup that he turned into an extra cab with IRS from a Jag that turned out so sick but he sold it for the right price. He had some mad fab skills.

Re: Curly"s Rat Rod Urn..... :( - Posted By matt (matt) on 31st Jan 11 at 2:10pm
Nice work Hogan!